The Ellen Stewart International Award will be presented to an individual artist or group of artists who work together or a theatre organization that demonstrates success in promoting social change and youth engagement through their theatre practice.
Candidates can come from any country/community in the world. Candidates must exhibit excellence and major achievements in the areas or socially-engaged theatre with youth involvement. We are looking for as diverse an array of candidates as possible. Candidates should be available to spend a residency during the summer of 2018 at La MaMa Umbria in Spoleto, Italy.
Nominator will fill out the Nomination Form (below) only in English and submit the completed form by the Deadline: October 27 2017.
Three support letters must accompany the Nomination Form.
Self-nominations will be accepted, as long as support letters are included.
Employees of La MaMa, ITI and the Spoleto Festival are not eligible to apply. Members of the International Committees or their relatives are not eligible to apply. Awardees from previous years are not eligible to receive the Award a second time.
Nominations may come from anywhere in the world.
Nominees must meet the following Criteria:
Criteria for Ellen Stewart International Award Winner:
- Must be engaged in a practice that uses performance as a means for social change, particularly with youth.
- The artist(s) who wins this honor uses theatre as a mechanism for inspiring young people to understand others so they can make a positive contribution to their community.
- The winner must have a demonstrated commitment to engaging communities through live performance toward improving conditions in the society.
- Must have at least 5 years of experience in engaging communities through theatrical performance, training and/or teaching.
- Must be an individual or company who would commit to a Residency at La MaMa Umbria International during the summer 2018.
- Must have the support of three prominent members of the world theatre/performance community, whose letters are included in the Proposal.
- Must be able to demonstrate how winning the Award will help the artist or company continue its work toward socially engaged performance, as exemplified by the art and work of Ellen Stewart.
What the Awardee Receives:
- Two weeks residency at the world-famous artist residence: La MaMa Umbria International in Spoleto, Italy. La MaMa Umbria provides accommodation, meals and support for the development of a new or continuing project:
- The new project/performance will have its premiere at the famous Spoleto Festival of 2 Worlds.
- Cash award in support to the project.
- Presentation of the Award at a highly visible ceremony before an international audience with extensive press coverage.
- Invitation to participate in International Theatre Institute’s World Congress.
To Nominate an Artist or Company:
- Fill out the Application Form in English and email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org by OCTOBER 27, 2017.
- Include 3 Reference Letters, including contact information for each.
- Include complete CV.
- Include Press clippings, video, and other support materials that would strengthen the application (All documentation must be in digital form, accessible online, with link).